Wednesday, September 19, 2012

CuTe & a little CReePY...

Hey there!  Long time....really long time...no blog.  Sorry about that but I needed to take a bit of a break from blogging and crafting for awhile.  All is well and now that school is back in session and we have gotten through the first few weeks, I am so looking forward to being back to crafting and posting here!

In fact, I have a new project to post today that is a kick-off to several fall creations that I have planned.  I really am excited with autumn on it's way (finally seeing cooler days) and Halloween just around the corner.  It's one of my favorite holidays and I'm itching to start decorating already.  The piece I created is a bit CREEPY, but somehow endearing just the same.  I don't know...I have a fondness for that crazed look in his eyes...lol!  But I think it's the hat that ultimately wins me over...so festive, cute & sparkly!

"Trick OR Treat Jack" 






















I was inspired by this fun idea that I found on PINTEREST by BarbsBlessings (you can find her on Etsy).  I really liked her quirky, primitive styled Halloween decor.  I wanted my project to be a container, so I used a dollar bin cardboard box for my base, then a Styrofoam ball for the pumpkin head and made the rest with Bo Bunny’s Apple Cider and Serenade collections.  














I painted just the edges/corners of the box since I planned to cover the rest with pattern paper.  Spray a thin coat of clear acrylic matte finish to keep the paint from chipping or scratching.


For the styrofoam ball, roll it firmly along your work surface to compress it a bit.  It squishes the nooks & crannies some and makes painting it much easier!  I stuck a thin dowel in the styro ball to make it easier to hold as I painted it.  It also came in handy when I needed to prop it up in a jar to dry.














I used 2 - 1 1/2" x 12" strips of paper to create the rosette collar.  I applied hot glue to join them together and to attach the 2 large circles to the front and back of the rosette.  This made it very sturdy....if you've had rosettes fall apart on you before, you know what I mean.

The hat is made from 1/2 of an 8" circle to create a cone.  Leave a small opening at the top to insert the tulle later.

The facial features are punched and cut pattern paper.  Add ink and pen work for extra detail.














Cover the box with strips of paper.  Since the edges and corners are painted there's no need to cut your paper perfectly.  Embellish the hat with tulle, flowers and jeweled accents.

Layer a black tulle ruffled collar (made from a 3" strip gathered with a running stitch of black thread), the rosette collar and the styro head.  Glue it all together with a hot glue gun to really secure it.  Then hot glue the assembled head to the box top lid.



Use hot glue again to add black tulle to the top of the hat and to attach the hat to the head.  Hot glue the chenille stem around the edge of the hat.  Tie a ribbon bow and hot glue that on the side of his collar.  Use alpha stickers to add words/phrases around the sides of the box lid.

Add glitter glue as you like and lightly spray with an acrylic sealer to complete.























Supply List:
Bo Bunny: Apple Cider & Serenade collections - pattern paper, stickers, brads, jewels, petals and chipboard.  Double Dot 5/8" Concord Ribbon and Double Dot Sugar cardstock
Other:
Box; Orange Acrylic Paint; Black Tulle; Black Chenille Stems and a hot glue gun
---------------------------

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed today's post!

3 comments:

Christy said...

Awe definitely more cute than creepy :) :)

Cotton Peony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cotton Peony said...

I'd say more prim and very sassy indeed. Please post your tips on the accordion neck ruffle!

warm hugs
Cotton Peony